"To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, 'If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'" John 8:31-32
To know the truth is not enough. Hold to my teaching - then you will know the truth - then the truth will set you free. Hmmm.
This morning was not a truth kind of morning. I woke up with enough time to get myself ready, get K&E ready, and leave for school. A friend spoke truth through an e-mail today which gave a very insightful look into why it is so hard to abide in Christ. Her insight was, "It is because we don't think we need God more than anything else." As hard as that is to hear and acknowledge in my own day, it's truth played out.
I did not take time to abide before the rush of the day began, and not surprisingly, by lunchtime (toaster!! * see 3/16 blog entry) I was sans peace. Waaay sans. Elise was tired. I blew a fuse. Kaeden was frustrated. I was not compassionate. Some gray plush kitten with pink whiskers was causing upheaval in our car the entire way home!! Seriously. This momma was not holding to God's teaching, knowing the Truth, or being set free. I had no reserves from which to draw peace or love or grace.
When we arrived home, the three of us sat inside the front door, cried, apologized, and prayed for God to teach us to love. My heart will not be taught or learn by my own self-dependence. I shared with K&E that I did not start the day right. I hadn't taken time to be still and near God. I hadn't read His Word. The day is not a wash.
Right now I am going to take advantage of the next few moments to be near God. The fact that currently my "quite spot" is covered with piles of clean, folded clothes is not going to dissuade me - neither is the dinner prep - neither is the ringing telephone, because I need God more than anything else.
Peace, grace, new life, and stillness in His presence I pray over you, friend.
1 comment:
we are sooo on the same wavelength! i told your mom that reading your blog is like seeing myself.thank you for your transparency and the Truth that you allow to shine through it.
Post a Comment