Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fully Alive

Sara Groves was singing through our house this morning, and the truth of her song, Just Showed Up for My Own Life had never hit me so strikingly before.

There are so many ways to hide
There are so many ways not to feel
There are so many ways to deny what is real
And I just showed up for my own life
And I'm standing here taking it in and it sure looks bright
Oh the glory of God is man fully alive

"fully alive"? something like constantly being in an intentional position of surrender to God's work in our lives. Walking with a pure heart and our eyes/ears open to His move/voice, obeying. Because really, there is more "fully alive" than we could possibly experience on this earth, right? . . . When I am moment-by-moment surrendering to His continual grace and guidance in my life through the cross, there is more "alive" to me in that amount of understanding of Him and His plan for me than I have yet known- what He is revealing to me in His perfect time, in His perfect way. I needed to read that last sentence again, but I think I'm supposed to leave it there. In His perfect timing, in His perfect way, as you surrender to Him, you will know "fully alive" like never before, and there is no ending to the depths of His fully alive for you.

II Corinthians 3:16-18 refers to a veil that covers minds so truth can not be understood. But - "whenever someone turns to the LORD, the veil is taken away. For the LORD is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the LORD is, there is freedom. So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the LORD. And the LORD - who is the Spirit - makes us more and more like him as we are changed into His glorious image."

Freedom? Where the Spirit of the LORD is? I am so up for that.
Being made more like Him? yes, please.

God, You are great and there is no other. Surround these women and men with your Spirit, your Freedom. Fill them with courage to surrender and receive your "fully alive" for them in this moment. Cause us to be still and know You are God, laying at your feet our hurt, fear, pain, our past, our future, our present. Thank You for being present with us. Tune our hearts to know Yours. To not hide. To feel. To not deny what is. We long to be fully alive. We love You, Father. 

No comments: