Wednesday, October 19, 2016

my go-to test

We had a morning event which led me to tell my awesome 10yo that maybe it would be good for him to talk with Jesus about it, to which he responded that he doesn't know when it's God he's hearing or himself or Satan. (which is for another blog as this is the same boy who has heard the voice of God over a dozen times, a dozen of which he has shared with me) However, I had the same conundrum as a child. Neither God nor Satan is touchable or seeable in full reality of what we know, so how is it possible to "know" or differentiate their voices, let alone my own voice. On top of that, why would I want to talk to a being about something I'm not proud of? Great questions.

my go-to "how do I know if it's God convicting me or the enemy condemning me?" test:

If while you're talking to this being about or even thinking about doing something you know isn't right - you feel someone beating you with a meat mallet, telling you you're a bad person, asking how you could do such a thing, attacking who you are - that's condemnation, and that's not from heaven.

If while you're talking about doing something you know isn't right to this being or even thinking about it - you feel like you know what you're doing is wrong, like that piece of sin that isn't for you anyway is being quickly and cleanly sliced off, and then after that it feels like you're being hugged or held, may sting a bit but mostly you feel deep freedom - that's conviction, and that's heaven.

a slice of irony in it all - the hymn for today (which we interrupted for the above conversation) - Amazing Grace.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.

Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares, I have already come.
Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home.

When we've been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun,
we've no less days to sing God's praise than when we've first begun.

No comments: