Thursday, October 23, 2008

Is it necessary?

I've asked the question to our top three medical professionals, two of them medical oncologists who had my records in front of them, and the concensus is toward beginning the immunotherapy. The question being, "So, one microscopic spot was found on one centinal lymph node. Thirty-seven have been taken out, all clean. Is Interferon really necessary?"

Our current medical oncologist is not Interferon-happy. He doesn't believe it's the big cure or the ultimate blocker of reoccurence. He does believe it is the best we have right now for melanoma. He says the first month of intense therapy is the most critical. After that, if the 3/week shots leave me flat on my back, nothing says they have to continue. I am praying, and feel free to join me, that I will be in the percentage of people whose bodies can handle it well.

This Monday (the 27th), the day before Andrew's birthday, we will begin our first month of treatment. I feel like we're all going through it. Like having a baby - it takes the team. So, Benedryl, a bit of anti-depressant, a lot of water, and Interferon will enter my body to interfere with any melanomic cells who dare still be around. :0) We show up at the treatment center around noon. We accept all thoughts and prayers.

No comments: